- This event has passed.
Inner Mentor Training ~ Edinburgh
June 1 @ 9:30 am - June 2 @ 3:30 pm£150 – £200
Are you a father?
Are you ready to meet your son in his teenage years?
Do you work with young people?
Are you resourced to further develop your capacity for working with teenage boys?
The Inner Mentor Training
Is a small group experiential training for men.
For fathers, carers, uncles, men working with adolescents and all men interested in their personal and professional development
Sat 1st June (9.30am – 6.30pm) & Sun 2nd June (9.30am – 3.30pm) 2019 – Edinburgh
The Inner Mentor Training will help you:
● Be prepared to support your son through his teenage years
● Deal better with challenges with adolescents at work or in volunteering
● Improve your mentoring skills and be more comfortable around teenagers
● Improve your ability to deal with communication breakdowns with teenagers
● Reconcile your teenage experience and be better able to be clear and present
This training is interactive and self-reflective; designed to support you in exploring, embracing and acknowledging your teenage experience. It will help you understand how that experience still affects you and those around you today and contribute to your professional and personal development.
Overview of the Inner Mentor Training
● Revisit your experience of adolescence
● How fathers/carers/mentors influence our teenage experience
● The need for a safe place in a teenager’s life
● Revisiting ‘that conversation with dad’ you didn’t have as a teenager
● Our place within the flow of the generations
● How to see the positive in teenage challenges
● The role and qualities of a mentor
● Basic principles of skillful mentoring
● The importance of play in relating to teenagers
● Information about JourneymanUK group mentoring
There will be a combination of dialogue, small-group exercises, games, and personal reflection. There will be an encouragement to share honestly about your experience, as much as you choose, with guidance and support.
The IMT stands alone as a powerful personal development experience as well as the entry point training for Journeyman mentors. It is a safe and confidential space to experience what it is like to be present in the company of men and in doing so to make a unique contribution towards securing a healthy future for all. In some way all men ‘mentor’ adolescents by modeling how we are as men in the home, workplace and in the world.
If you are interested in starting or joining a local mentoring circle or staffing the Rites of Passage Adventure the IMT is a good preparatory step and will give you an experience of what Journeyman is about. It will also help you become more aware of how you are around young people, and how that affects your relationships with them. Journeyman welcomes men of any race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or religious affiliation.
The IMT is led by two Journeyman facilitators plus two support men. There will be a maximum of 16 delegates. The cost of the training is as below. Bursaries & low-wage reductions are available, please ask for details.
Standard £150 – prospective mentors, fathers, youth workers
Professional £200 – paid for by organisation CPD
The IMT timings
Sat 1st June 2019 – 9.30am- 6.30pm – Doors open at 9am
Sun 2nd of June – 9.30am- 3.30pm – Doors open at 9am
The IMT is held at: Mission Hall Studio, 37 Burns Street, Leith, Edinburgh, EH6 8DS
If you need accommodation get in touch. It may be possible to get accommodation from a local attendee based in Edinburgh. Or there are B&Bs just round the corner from the venue.
Bring a packed lunch for Saturday and Sunday lunch and snacks to share – there’s also a Tesco and at least two cafes close to the venue. There is a kitchen at the venue with a microwave for our use.
We finish on Saturday at 6.30pm and for those who wish we can stay and eat/go out/etc
Drinks will be provided, please bring a water bottle.
● Bank transfer: account number 65458956, sort code 08-92-99 (reference your name + “Edinburgh IMT”). And send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, address, phone number and the date you made the transfer, copying in email@example.com.
● Post a cheque for (payable to Journeyman UK) to: 23 Summer Crescent, Stroud. GL5 1PP. Include your name, address, email and phone number.
● Arrange cash payment in advance.
For more information: Nick Thorpe 07968 985220 firstname.lastname@example.org (Edinburgh organiser)
email@example.com (Journeyman organisers)
“An amazing process, very well held. Safe, compassionate, tough, joyful, sad, uplifting, enriching…” DR, Stroud.
“I would recommend this training to any man, the gold available here is immense,” RK, Stafford
“I loved seeing an inspirational model of leadership” CM Glos
“A beautiful well held space to open up listen and be heard” TS Bristol
“How funny, that after all those years my inadequacies might be the strengths that I can build myself as a man” BS Glos
● Bring a picture of yourself as a teenager and a picture of your dad/father figure.
● Bring own lunch and snacks to share – see above.
● Accommodation: if you need accommodation, you may be able to stay with a local participant; let us know – or book yourself a place.
● Arrive early for start times and allow for traffic/ the unforeseen! On-street parking nearby, good bus links https://www.lothianbuses.com/live-travel-info/journey-planner/