- This event has passed.
The Inner Mentor Training
September 15, 2018 @ 10:00 am - September 16, 2018 @ 5:00 pm
A small group experiential training for men. For fathers, carers, uncles, men working with adolescents, and all men interested in their personal and professional development.
The Inner Mentor Training will help you:
● Be prepared to support your son through his teenage years
● Deal better with challenges with adolescents at work or in volunteering
● Improve your mentoring skills and be more comfortable around teenagers
● Improve your ability to deal with communication breakdowns with teenagers
● Reconcile your teenage experience and be better able to be clear and present
This training is interactive and self-reflective; designed to support you in exploring, embracing and acknowledging your teenage experience. It will help you understand how that experience still affects you and those around you today and contribute to your professional and personal development.
Overview of the Inner Mentor Training:
● Revisit your experience of adolescence
● How fathers / carers / mentors influence our teenage experience
● The need for a safe place in a teenager’s life
● Revisiting ‘that conversation with dad’ you didn’t have as a teenager
● Our place within the flow of the generations
● How to see the positive in teenage challenges
● The role and qualities of a mentor
● Basic principles of skilful mentoring
● The importance of play in relating to teenagers
● Information about JourneymanUK group mentoring
There will be a combination of dialogue, small-group exercises, games and personal reflection. There will be encouragement to share honestly about your experience, as much as you choose, with guidance and support.
The IMT stands alone as a powerful personal development experience as well as the entry point training for Journeyman mentors. It is a safe and confidential space to experience what it is like to be present in the company of men and in doing so to make a unique contribution towards securing a healthy future for all. In some way all men ‘mentor’ adolescents by modelling how we are as men in the home, work place and in the world.
If you are interested in starting or joining a local group or staffing the Rites of Passage Adventure the IMT is a good preparatory step and will give you an experience of what Journeyman is about. It will also help you become more aware of how you are around young people, and how that affects your relationships to them.
Journeyman welcomes men of any race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or religious affiliation.
The IMT is lead by two Journeyman facilitators plus support staff who are Journeyman mentors. There will be a maximum of 16 delegates. The cost of the training is as below. Bursaries are available, ask for details.
Concessionary £60 Journeyman mentors and staff
Standard £90 Prospective mentors, fathers, youth workers
Professional £150 Paid for by organisation CPD (non Journeyman)