An experiential small group training for fathers, carers, uncles, teachers, youth workers and all men interested in their personal and professional development.
• Cumbernauld, Scotland – 28-29th October 2023
• Bristol – 18-19th November 2023
The IMT stands alone as a powerful personal development experience as well as the entry point training for Journeyman mentors.
If you are interested in starting or joining a local mentoring circle or in staffing the Rites of Passage Adventure, the IMT is a significant preparatory step and will give you a powerful experience of the work of JourneymanUK. Whether you continue as a mentor in the organisation or not, this training will support you to become more self-aware and effective in your relationships with young people. JourneymanUK is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for men of any sexual orientation, ethnicity or religious affiliation.
The IMT will help you:
- Be prepared to support your son through his teenage years
- Deal better with challenges with adolescents at work or in volunteering
- Improve your mentoring skills and be more comfortable around teenagers
- Improve your ability to deal with communication breakdowns with teenagers
- Reconcile your teenage experience and be better able to be clear and present.
- This training is interactive and self-reflective; designed to support you in exploring, embracing and acknowledging your teenage experience.
- It will help you understand how that experience still affects you and those around you today and contribute to your professional and personal development.
Overview of the IMT:
- Revisit your experience of adolescence
- How fathers/carers/mentors influence our teenage experience
- The need for a safe place in a teenager’s life
- Revisiting ‘that conversation with dad’ you didn’t have as a teenager
- Our place within the flow of the generations
- How to see the positive in teenage challenges
- The role and qualities of a mentor
- Basic principles of skillful mentoring
- The importance of play in relating to teenagers
- Information about JourneymanUK group mentoring
- There will be a combination of dialogue, small-group exercises, games, and personal reflection.
- There will be an encouragement to share honestly about your experience, as much as you choose, with guidance and support.